Today, Kurunegala is an important cross – roads town, astride the route from Kandy to the Puttalam and Colombo to Anuradapura. It enjoys a pleasant location overlooked by huge rocky outcrops some of which have been given names of the animals they resemble:- elephant rock, tortoise rock etc. According to a legend, when during drought, the animals threatened the city’s water supply, they were magically turned into stone, Situated at the foot of the 325km black rock Etagala there are excellent views of across the lake from the Top. It is also within easy reach of a few sites which are not very often visited.
Kurunegala is the royal capital for only half a century, starting with the reign of Buvanekabahu II (1293-1302) who was followed by Parakramabahu IV (1302-1326).There is little left of the Tooth relic temple save few stone steps and part of doorway.